Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A New Season

I have been enjoying the cool breezes of fall, but the fall breezes have more to bring with them than just relief from the warmth of summer. Along with them comes the fragrance of life unfolding the wonder of a fresh, new season. The fall winds have caused my mind to stir, just like the trees, rustling in the winds' blissful wake.

The newness in the air has awakened my senses to a newness in life. Following that parallel, I have been challenged to analyze the spiritual, mental, and physical status of myself, and to strive to create new life in each of those aspects. Just as a tree cannot go year around without dropping leaves, neither can a soul go on holding onto each "damaged leaf" it bears without those leaves slowing sapping life out of them. There are some things we have to let go. Only after letting those things go will we find the motivation, grace and strength to grow in other areas.

There have been times when I've associated my damaged leaves so closely with my identity, that I've mistaken one for the other. I have damaged leaves that I am in the process of dropping. So many, in fact, that I'm thinking if I were a tree, I'd be naked of leaves and wondering if I was still a tree. Yet, I'm aware that hanging onto damaged leaves causes decay, even in our relationships with our spouses.

Whether it be spiritually, physically, or mentally, I think there are some damaged leaves the Lord would like to see us drop, so that He can revive newness of life within us.

No comments: